The most needed food items include:
- rice, maize meal, cereal, samp and pasta;
- dried beans, lentils, tinned fish, soya mince and milk powder;
- jam, peanut butter and canned vegetables; and
- cooking oil, salt and sugar.
Some guidelines when collecting food:
- Collect only non-perishable food items.
- Do not collect any cooked items/meals.
- Please check the expiry dates on all products, as FoodForward SA will not accept any expired products.
Tips for holding a successful food drive:
- Develop a theme – a themed food drive for a special occasion or celebrated day will help with marketing your food drive and add some excitement.
- Call your nearest FoodForward SA branch – let us know you are planning a food drive and find out what we are most in need of.
- Set up a collection point – a medium-sized box works best; properly identify the boxes and place them in highly visible places that are convenient for people to access.
- Promote your food drive – advertise your food drive through whatever means you have available e.g. flyers, e-mails, and social media. Include the dates of the drive and locations of the collection boxes.
- Arrange for transportation – arrange collection or delivery of the food with the nearest FoodForward SA branch.
Contact us on 021 531 5610 or e-mail Fayrene Langson at email@example.com if you would like to hold a food drive.