Food drives are a really popular activity among individuals, families, communities and groups within the workplace it is all about having fun whilst getting involved in the fight against hunger!
FoodForward SA has regularly-scheduled food drives throughout the year, but you are welcome to hold your own food drive at any time of the year. We welcome all types of non-perishable food products that everyone should have access to.
The most needed food items include:
- rice, maize meal, cereal, samp and pasta
- dried beans, lentils, tinned fish, soya mince and milk powder
- jam, peanut butter and canned mix vegetables
- cooking oil, salt and sugar
Some guidelines when collecting food:
- Collect only non-perishable food items.
- Do not collect any cooked items/meals
- Please check the expiry dates on all products, FoodForward SA cannot accept any expired products.
Tips for holding a successful food drive:
Develop a theme – a themed food drive for a special occasion or celebrated day will help with marketing your food drive and add some excitement.
Call your nearest FoodForward SA branch – let them know you are planning a food drive and find out what they need most.
Set up a collection point – a medium sized box works best, properly identify the boxes and place them in highly visible places that are convenient for people to donate.
Promote your food drive – advertise your food drive through whatever means you have available e.g. fliers, e-mails, Facebook and Twitter. Include the dates of the drive and locations of the collection boxes.
Arrange for transportation – arrange collection or delivery of the food with the nearest FoodForward SA branch.
Contact us on 021 531 5670 or Ashleigh@foodforwardsa.org if you would like to hold a food drive.